
Wine label collage on a background of another one of a kind paper; an odd shade of green with a very dull matte finish. I make alot of bckground papers in the summer because i have a good place to work where i can leave all the supplies out. So, theres paints of every type along with dyes, wax crayons, puttys, mediums and misc of all sorts. Needless to say, i often end up with papers that consist of unknowns.
As far as i know theres only one of this type, thank goodness because it was difficult to work with.
The collage was already under way before i noticed the least bit of moisture made the green finish soften, actually sort of melt and roll off. I wanted to use it anyhow for its odd color. So i opted to assemble the lable pieces butted up against each other, like in the bargello technique to hide as much of the green as i could. At that point i hadnt planned to add a finish coat but after sanding to distress it a little i went too far and it was raw in places. I applied matt gel medium with my finger which picked up the green finish on the edge and made it look very old. I made a trellis with gold wire grape tendrils and stapled it on. I was happy enough with the piece until the trellis was on, then i felt it should have been smaller.
I've since wondered if the green paper had a water soluble wax crayon finish because i do have some of them. I've used them but not much and they've never reacted like this.