Friday, February 17, 2006

Feb 16 Two natures at war



In each of us two natures are at war; the good and the evil.
All our lives the fight goes on between them
and one of them must conquer.
But in our own hands
lies the power to choose.
What we want most to be
we are.

I had written down who to attribute the quote to but right now i cant find it.
I saw this technique on http://alteredsilver.blogspirit.com and he said he had seen it at http://www.jenminnis.com/gallery

I was really intrigued, tried it and its fun and a great technique. You take a magazine picture, something not too complicated, and paint it with a thin layer of gesso. This man was actually fishing in a river and the background had alot of trees which have now magically disappeared. When the gesso's dry go over the main lines with a black sharpie - you can still see them faintly otherwise you might have to improvise a little here and there.
Apply another coat of gesso. (i keep my gesso brush in a ziplock bag on days or on techniques when i know its going to be used a few times) You might want to repeat the black outlining and gesso several times. Its best if you can incorporate some texture with the gesso. I didnt think of it for this picture but it would have been much nicer if i would have made textured rays splaying out from the man.
In the original technique i think they used acrylic paint, maybe you can use watercolor. I'm not too familar with working with acrylic but started with it here and as usual was unhappy with my painting. I ended up using my good old trusty markers. I then sanded lightly and re-drew the lines.